|Rioja Gran Reserva 904
||La Rioja Alta
5/01. Bought in Spain Jan-01 for $24.
La Rioja Alta is a top Rioja house that has been in business for more than 110 years. They have a wide range of wines, most of which are very good.
The 904 Gran Reserva is 95% Tempranillo with the other 5% Mazuelo. The wine spent five years in cask plus another four years in bottle before being released.
COLOR: Medium brick-red with a tinge of tawny. Some clearing around the rim.
NOSE: Nice balance between the fragrant grapey 'Tempranillo Nose' and the wood tones. Fully forward and open nose that gives a pleasant soft blend of ripe fruit aromas, complex bouquet, and even some hints of tertiary elements.
TASTE: Fully mature, harmonious, soft and tasty. Reasonably concentrated with well defined fruity flavors. Good winyness, soft tannins and fine structure. Multi-flavored fairly complex and very tasty.
LENGTH: Medium long pleasant and round aftertaste.
TEXTURE & BALANCE: Medium bodied 'old-style' Rioja. Elegant soft and silky. Very harmonious with excellent balance between fruit, wood, alcohol, tannins and acidity.
OVERALL: Very Fine. At its absolute best now.
|MARK: 18/20.||BUY MORE? Yes.|
Reach Me? firstname.lastname@example.org
Jacob "Yak" Shaya.